Capital Drilling’s (Capital) commitment to deliver on client targets, using a professional approach while constantly looking at how something can be done better, resulted in a significant 35% improvement in hole success rate together with reduced costs in some areas for their client.
The surface lithology at the deep hole directional project, based in Eastern Europe, had proven difficult to penetrate prior to Capital’s commencement – with only a 50% hole success rate, and minimal information on the ore body provided to the client.
Capital addressed the issues in a number of ways:
- Imported specialised equipment and larger capacity drill rigs from around the world ensuring capacity to penetrate the difficult surface formation;
- Worked closely with consumables suppliers to ensure the latest technologies suitable for the challenging lithology were used, minimising down hole failures;
- Specifically employed world renowned deep hole drillers and supervisors with exposure to global deep hole directional programs for the project; and
- Provided extensive training in best practice drilling methodologies to local drilling employees, resulting in increased production and hole completion.
Capital’s approach delivered significant benefits to the client:
- Improved hole success rate by 35%;
- Enabled the client to achieve specified targets to meet stringent ore body definition criteria, not previously attainable;
- Provided substantial cost savings attributed to a reduction in drilling muds used; and
- Efficient drilling methods reached Total Depth (greater than 2,200m) 11 days earlier than client budget on one hole.
Other benefits included the introduction of a modern safety culture and structures. In a first for drilling projects in the country, Capital introduced their global safety standards, including Safe Work Procedures (SWP’s), Job Safety Analysis (JSA’s) and safety monitoring and reporting structures.
Capital’s success on this project demonstrates a number of the company’s cultural approaches to any project – a willingness to go the extra mile to achieve client targets, a professional drilling culture and an uncompromising commitment to safety, regardless of location or local standards.