SURFACE

Teranga's second mine goes commercial

Canada-based Teranga Gold has achieved commercial production at the Wahgnion gold mine in Burkina Faso, becoming its second mine to do so after sister gold operation Sabodala in Senegal

 First pour at the Burkina Faso mine was recorded in late August

First pour at the Burkina Faso mine was recorded in late August

The new operation is off to a productive start, with officials confirming it could achieve the upper end of its 30,000-40,000 ounce production guidance range.

Commercial levels were met November 1, while the first pour was recorded at Wahgnion in late August, two months ahead of its planned schedule.

Teranga COO Paul Chawrun said the mine's plant was running either at or above its nameplate capacity. In addition, recorded recovery rates exceed 90%.

"Now that we have achieved commercial production, in the new year our attention will turn to conducting a reserve development programme focused on optimising the mine plan and adding reserves to extend the current 13-year mine life," he said.

The Wahgnion gold mine is located in southwest Burkina Faso and 510km southwest of the capital city of Ouagadougou. West Africa-focused Teranga owns 90% of the operation, with the remaining 10% held by the Burkina Faso government.

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the mining sector, brought to you by the Mining Magazine Intelligence team.

A growing series of reports, each focused on a key discussion point for the mining sector, brought to you by the Mining Magazine Intelligence team.

editions

Mining Magazine Intelligence Future Fleets Report 2024

The report paints a picture of the equipment landscape and includes detailed profiles of mines that are employing these fleets

editions

Mining Magazine Intelligence Digitalisation Report 2023

An in-depth review of operations that use digitalisation technology to drive improvements across all areas of mining production

editions

Mining Magazine Intelligence Automation Report 2023

An in-depth review of operations using autonomous solutions in every region and sector, including analysis of the factors driving investment decisions

editions

Mining Magazine Intelligence Exploration Report 2023 (feat. Opaxe data)

A comprehensive review of current exploration rates, trending exploration technologies, a ranking of top drill intercepts and a catalog of 2022 Initial Resource Estimates and recent discovery successes.