Resolution shaft rehab progressing

As it moves quickly toward a 2019 target completion date, Rio Tinto and BHP joint venture Resolution Copper said work on the No. 9 shaft rehabilitation at its Arizona, US, copper mine remains on track
Resolution shaft rehab progressing Resolution shaft rehab progressing Resolution shaft rehab progressing Resolution shaft rehab progressing Resolution shaft rehab progressing

Work is on track for Resolution's No. 9 shaft to be complete in 2019

Staff Reporter

The shaft, originally built in 1971, is now sinking to 7,000ft (2,134m). In 2021, the No. 9 shaft will be connected with the No. 10 shaft, which was completed in 2014.

The company previously said the cots for rehab plus the sinking and linking could reach US$200 million.

The underground operation, located east of Phoenix, has proposed using block caving. It will begin at a rate of 120,000t per day and ramp up to a throughput of 150,000t per day at prime levels.

Once in operation, it will be North America's largest copper operation.

Rio Tinto is majority owner of Resolution at 55%, while BHP holds the remaining 45%.