Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant

Teck Resources has commissioned water-treatment solutions provider IDE Technologies to design and supply a modular seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO) desalination plant at its Quebrada Blanca Phase 2 (QB2) expansion copper project in Chile
Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant Teck taps IDE for Quebrada Blanca desalination plant

QB2 incorporates extensive environmental measures, including the first large-scale use of desalinated seawater for mining in the Tarapacá Region of Chile

The plant, to be located on the port side of the Tarapacá region site, will be Chile's second largest seawater desalination facility.

IDE said the SWRO for QB2 will produce high-quality water for the mine's copper concentrator, and its design will be in compliance with the country's environmental requirements and safety regulations.

There are currently more than 20 desalination plants in operation in Chile, IDE said; moreover, it confirmed it will work closely with Teck to ensure QB2's plant meets its goals for availability and reliability.

"We're excited to partner with Teck in providing high-quality water in an economical and sustainable manner, to support the expansion of this mine," IDE Projects CEO Guy Sagie said. "Our modular SWRO desalination design is an excellent solution for remote locations due to the use of prefabricated modules with minimal maintenance requirements. Once completed, the QB2 desalination plant will deliver a consistent and reliable supply of water for daily mining operations."

The companies did not disclose a timeline for development, delivery or when the facility could come online.

Open-pit Quebrada Blanca, located in northern Chile, 240km south-east of Iquique, at an elevation of 4,400m, is 90% owned by Teck. The remaining 10% interest is owned by Empresa Nacional de Minería.